Podcast: Play in new window | Download
In this week’s episode, Paul Lagerman, the Naked Physio, and I co-host a panel discussion live from the San Diego Pain Summit in San Diego, California. The summit is all about applying pain science to clinical practice and we were fortunate to have a few of the summit speakers, who all come from different healthcare backgrounds, join us to discuss how we should be addressing patients with chronic pain.
**This is part 1 of our discussion. The conversation was good we had to split it into 2 podcasts!
Let me introduce you to this fantastic panel of pain experts:
- Ravensara Travillian is a massage therapist based in Seattle, Washington specializing in populations of refugees and veterans
- Sandy Hilton is a physical therapist that specializes in pelvic pain in Chicago, Illinois
- Greg Lehman is a physical therapist, chiropractor, and a research biomechanist from Toronto, Canada
- Bronnie Thompson is an occupational therapist and a senior lecturer on pain and pain management at the University of Otago in Christchurch, New Zealand
- Michael Shacklock is a physical therapist and research academic with interests in neurodynamics from Dunedin, New Zealand
In this episode, you will learn:
- How to explain pain to clients without leading them to believe that the pain is all in their head
- How to guide patients away from biomedical explanations of pain
- How to manage chronic pain patients’ expectations throughout your treatment plan
- Techniques to get your patients excited about their home exercise program
- And a whole lot more!
Chronic pain is complex and this discussion really benefited from having a multidisciplinary panel provide their diverse insights and experiences. As healthcare clinicians, we can help make sense of chronic pain in our patients’ lives but we need to deliver that information to them in meaningful and relevant ways.
If you want to hear more from all of us, check us out on twitter! You can find some highlights from the summit with #sdps2016 and #sdpain.
Karen Litzy: @KarenLitzyNYC
Paul Lagerman: @nakedphysio
Greg Lehman: @GregLehman
Ravensara Travillian: @RavenTravillian
Sandy Hilton: @SandyHiltonPT
Bronnie Thompson: @adiemusfree
Michael Shacklock: @Neurodynamics
Thank you for listening and being a part of the Healthy Wealthy and Smart family!
PS!!! In the intro I talk about a great way you can give back to a boy in Costa Rice who is in desperate need for a power wheelchair. Go to the GoFundMe page created by Jimmy McKay here.