In this episode I was honored to speak with best selling author, artist and podcast host of Win’s Women of Wisdom, Win Kelly Charles. Win is all too familiar with physical therapy as she was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at a very young age. From MoveForwardPT.com, “Cerebral Palsy (CP) is a general term used to describe a group of disorders that affect the normal development of movement and posture. CP is caused by an injury to the brain—such as infection, stroke, trauma, or the loss of oxygen to the brain—that occur before, during, or after birth or within the first 2 years of life. The injury to the brain is “nonprogressive,” meaning that it does not get worse after the initial injury. However, the day-to-day activities that can be affected by the injury during an individual’s childhood can worsen throughout the individual’s life.”
Believe me, Win does let CP stop her. She is one of the busiest people I know (she makes me look like a total slacker)! She has written several books, is an accomplished artist, teaches part time, is in school working towards a degree in education, snowboards regularly, and is the host of the podcast Win’s Women of Wisdom. Like that is not enough she plans on launching a new podcast next year!
In this episode we talk about:
* Win’s experience with physical therapy.
* How her physical therapy care has changed as she has gotten older.
* Her best advice for physical therapists working with children with disabilities (it is always great to get the patient’s point of view).
* The most challenging aspect of her current physical therapy plan of care.
* How important the rapport is between the patients and therapist.
* How Win keeps in shape outside of PT.
* The importance of a strong support team.
* Her book I Win.
* And much more!
This was a great conversation and I think it gives us all a better idea of what it is like to not only live with cerebral palsy but to live well with cerebral palsy!
A big thanks to Win for being so open and honest during our conversation.
Thanks for listening and stay Healthy Wealthy & Smart!
To find out more about Win and her podcast Win’s Women of Wisdom go to:
Win’s co-CEO of Win’s Women of Wisdom