Jo-Ná A. Williams, Esq. founded J.A. Williams Law P.C. – The Artist Empowerment Firm in 2011 to provide artists and entrepreneurs with ways to successfully navigate their careers and provide assistance with business, entertainment and intellectual property matters. She founded Artist Empowerment Group in 2013 to advise artists on business, branding and marketing. Some of her clients have written best-selling books, reached the Billboard Top 100, and been nominated for Grammys. She’s been featured in Marie TV, The Vocalist Magazine, Women In Music, ReverbNation, CDBaby and The New York State Bar Association’s Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Journal.
“This interview is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice of any kind. Jo-Ná Williams and J.A.Williams Law, P.C. assumes no liability for use or interpretation of any information contain in this interview. This interview should not be an alternative to obtaining legal advice from a licensed attorney in your state based on the specific facts of your legal matter. Jo-Na Williams is licensed to practice law in the State of New York only.”
In this episode Jo-Na and I discuss the following:
- How entrepreneurs may be losing money in their business by not being protected.
- How to chose the right corporate form for your business and how choosing the wrong one will cost you.
- Hiring employees: what you need to know to protect your business.
- Independent contractors vs. employees: who should you hire.
- Best place to create a contract and what provisions need to be in a contract when hiring. What to look for as an employer or potential employee.
- Do non-compete agreements hold water.
- The common mistakes entrepreneurs make with an online business. I was totally blown away by this one! There are so many legal considerations one must do when doing business online.
The moment this interview ended I made an appointment to talk with Jo-Na about my business! I have been working with her for years and am so grateful for her help! No too many of use would walk down the street naked….don’t leave your business naked and vulnerable either!
I hope you learned a lot in this podcast and if you like what you are hearing don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast and tell your friends and family about it! Also please feel free to tweet me! @karenlitzyNYC and follow Jo-Na Williams, Esg for more great legal tips!
Have a great week and stay healthy wealthy & smart!